Pages

Sunday 2 March 2014

Disc Wars: Surgeon Strikes Back

*WARNING - BLOG CONTAINS SLIGHTLY GRUESOME IMAGES*

So here it is, what I like to call the pesky crayfish causing havoc floating around my spinal cord! No wonder I was in a fair amount of pain

L4/5 disc fragments removed during surgery


I was hoping to blog yesterday but I was completely out of it from the all the anesthetic, morphine and antibiotics. Then after managing to get a bit of roast beef and mash down me, in a sleepy haze and still drugged up to the max I started to feel slightly nauseas. The nurse clearly underestimated my ability to vomit so handed me the small sick bowl, he must’ve thought small girl, small amount of vomit. As the feeling rose I quickly grabbed the bigger, bed pan tray off the side, once he saw the tsunami that ensued covering all the sides, he left me to it!

The operation itself went as well as could’ve been expected. Although at one point I didn’t even think I’d get it done yesterday. The hospital policy says all patients must be tested for MRSA, something that they’d forgotten to do when they admitted me. With me lying on the trolley waiting to go into theatre I could hear mutterings in the corridor to the tune of ‘she shouldn’t even be down here’, and ‘how could you have forgotten’. Waiting for surgery is stressful enough as it is; I can assure you, this didn’t help one bit.

Once again, thankfully it turned out to be okay. A positive result would only change their post surgical procedures so they took a swab, I was given antibiotics as a precaution and once they got the result I would still be in theatre leaving them the ability to change anything if they needed to. As it turns out, they didn’t.

One of the things I’ve found hardest to deal with during past injuries has been the completely irrational thoughts that seem to unwittingly hijack my mind from time to time. This is undoubtedly no different this time and it seems the night and weekends (when doctors and physiotherapists are less readily available) are when it’s most likely to take hold. Last night when I was lying in bed my right foot and leg started to go numb. Cue irrational thoughts. Or are they irrational? This one potentially isn’t but I’ll be sure to let you know what I mean over the coming weeks. During the operation my surgeon had to move my nerve around quite a bit and it was very tight in there, a completely rational answer for what I was feeling; but I didn’t know that at the time!


The little bit gruesome scar and drains...

The VERY gruesome paper pants!

8 comments:

  1. Aww.. bless ya... hope ur feeling much stronger now... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the bravery in sharing something so personal with us all..have had major surgery too and you are right the mind can be a right b*stard...it just makes you hyperaware of every little twinge..this is completely 100% normal...as is the 4am mind - wide awake..processing negative thoughts like a supped up hamster on ICE(not that I have any experience with medicated hamsters!!!)..anyway looking forward to more updates. You are Amazing and so many strangers are sending you positive vibes for a awesome recovery and rehab..#InternationalHockeyFamily..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I couldn't have said it better myself, it's so hard to get across exactly how it feels but it's nice to know I'm not alone ;)

      Delete
  3. Crikey.. what a traumatic experience!!!! Rest up and take it easy... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...had the same done a few years ago so can appreciate what you're going through. Under the knife again on Wednesday - shoulder this time!! Will race you to get fit again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on! Keep me updated and good luck on Wednesday...

      Delete
    2. ....thanks for your good wishes, can't understand why I've just been watching you tube videos of my op - not such a good idea after all!! Seems to be a lot of bone grinding going on...

      Delete